Sunday, May 20, 2007

a success??

So we had our silent auction/raffle/bake sale thingee today. We raised over $2,000, but I feel like it could've been much more. People were cheap on the silent auction bidding!! Almost nothing went for face value, and a lot of teachers ended up bidding the highest on many items. I myself was the high bidder on 5 things (a quilt, another teacher's awesome painting, a 3-book set, a gift basket, and an autographed book by a local author). The kids & community members seemed to have a good time, though. I had 14 of my students volunteer to help during the day, which was awesome! They actually did a really good job helping out. A lot of them worked the entire day. I was impressed by their work ethic! :) I also had a friend come out to help (thanks, Mr. Fitz!!), whose efforts were invaluable.

To celebrate afterwards, said friend and I got dinner and saw "Shrek the Third." That movie was hysterical!!! It was excellent, and it now comes highly recommended from yours truly.

I'm exhausted, and I know I'm about to get the best night of sleep in my life. However, I wanted to update to let the free world know that our event was a moderate success. It's definitely a start. I told the principal that I'll be back whenever I can next year to help out. I still plan to be involved in the PTO (even if I'm not the secretary) and I would like to see this playground project through. I want to be around the kids & community, but I don't want to be in the classroom for the time being. I think I'll end up trying teaching again in a few years, but not at the moment.

Also, I can't help but feel a bit sad at the moment. Next week is our last full week with the kids. The following week, we have Monday off for Memorial Day, then Tuesday, and then a half day on Wednesday and that's it! My first year of teaching will have come to a close. It's a very strange feeling. I'll miss many things, but I have to believe that I'm moving on to better things. We'll see!

Anyway, faithful readers, I'm about to fall asleep. Have a great night! :)

1 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so happy that your fund raiser did well. Maybe not as well as you had hoped, but you gave the community and the school an opportunity to step up and help create a new playground for their children. The $2,000 you raised yesterday (plus what you had raised originally) is a great start. A start they would not have had without you. They were lucky to have had you this past year and you will definitely be missed. Now is the time to experiement with various jobs, occupations, and locations. Enjoy this time! It's a time of new beginnings.

Momita :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home