Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Sweet, sweet May!!!

It's finally here: the beautiful, glorious, underestimated month of MAY!!! :D Only 19 more days left!!

Ahem. So today went by quickly, all things considered. We finished our core reading book (McGraw-Hill) last week, so we've started book reports this week. So far, the kids are interested in the project, especially since they get to choose their own books (with my approval, of course). Yay.

We had a notoriously bad sub for art today, so my kids were awful. Knowing this would happen, I told them before we left for art, "Regardless of who the sub is, you MUST be respectful and polite. Don't ruin our chances of going to the Grand Canyon by not following directions or by messing around." I got kind of gruff, actually, and eventually said, "You WILL not ruin this trip for us. Understand?" And a lot of kids stood up a bit straighter and replied, "Yes, ma'am." Interesting.

And of course the day was downhill from there. The sub (who is known for doing little more than sitting at her desk and reading a book) told me when I picked up the class, "This is the worst class I've had in the past 4 days here." Joy. Someone shoot me, please.

I'm also still pretty sick. My voice is very hoarse and cracks a lot, I have an incessant cough, I'm sniffly, I'm achy, etc. It's really fun. :P It is nice, though, being so hopped-up on DayQuil that I don't really care what happens in class.

We did do one good thing today, though. I printed out a list of all the students in the class and distributed one copy to each student. I had the students put their names on the papers and write one positive comment about each of their peers. I will compile these (tonight??? soon...) and hand them out before school's over, so that each student has a page full of good things about them. I've heard of other teachers who have done this, and I love the idea! We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, that's all for now. Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home