Saturday, May 26, 2007

Random thoughts...

...Struck with a bout of pseduo-insomnia, I reflect upon what, exactly, teaching is to me. In college & grad school, we were constantly forced to develop comprehensive teaching philosophies, and now I realize the importance of those assignments: If one does not know *why* one does things, one runs the risk of being ineffective (or worse, destructive).

Today wasn't as hunky dory as yesterday, though we did have some cool moments. I still love whenever the kids are so enthralled with something that there is this rapt silence that envelopes the classroom. Today, as part of a social studies discussion, we talked about sweatshops, child labor, and the like. I told them about the lack of human rights laws in other countries (chiefly those in Asia and Africa), and how we're impacting such issues. I told them that, for example, if their clothes were made in China or Bangladesh or anywhere that is considered a third world county, those other countries have very loose laws about what constitutes fair labor. I described under what conditions many children and adults labor in foreign nations, and the children were appalled. Immediately, they began checking their shirt lables ("Ms. Anderson, what is C-A-M-B-O-D-I-A?"; "Ms. Anderson, does it make us bad people if we buy clothes that were made in China?"), and they were all fascinated by what they discovered: we still rely a great deal on foreign goods. When they learned what is happening around the world (right now!), many asked, "Why do we have so much stuff that's made in China?" I replied simply, "Because it's cheap for us, and we're more interested as a country in buying cheap goods than ones produced fairly."

Though I'm leaving the teaching profession at the end of next week, I'm starting to think more and more that it is but a temporary hiatus from this line of work. I do so love when the students really *care* about issues and topics, and that's what would keep me going as an educator. I have yet to figure out effective classroom management tactics, homework policies, conflict resolution facilitation, and so forth... but I feel that I may be able to *do* this someday and enjoy it.

I still love all the little "perks" that are included with teaching. Today (as I do on many Fridays), I had lunch with my class in the cafeteria. I love seeing them outside the classroom; I'm like a celebrity. Every single student wanted to talk, and they were all so eager to share the minor occurences in their lives. It was certainly flattering, but I was also feeling like it's one of the few times in the day when an adult actually listens to them and cares about what they have to say. An idea I'd had earlier in the year (that I never did) was to have lunch with them, one by one, throughout each semester, just to chat and spend some one-on-one time together that they so rarely get with teachers or parents.

Anyway, I will very sincerely miss the chaos that has been teaching. Friends in other fields constantly remark to me, "Even when your days are bad, at least they're still interesting! I can't say the same for my line of work..."

For now, I sign off and try to feel confident in my decision to leave the school and the teaching field. Peace!

2 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was an elementary school guidance counselor, my goal was to have lunch with every single student in each of my three schools. Each class was to invite one student to have lunch with me during their lunch period for three consecutive weeks. That student was allowed to bring a friend of his/her choosing. Teachers selected the students for a variety of reasons: good behavior, bad behavior, needed to talk with someone, etc. We never, ever talked about heavy things (e.g. divorce, grief, etc.) during Lunch Bunch but did talk about whatever the stuents wanted to discuss -- sports, brothers/ sisters, new pets, etc. At the end of the school year, we had an outside picnic (bring your own lunch but I furnished pop, chips, etc.) to celebrate the end of the school year. I always invited parents to come to that one (to help distribute munchies and for crowd control). We did that for the six years I was at the three schools. I think the parents looked forward to it almost as much as their children did. When I was a long-term guidance sub at the high school, I saw a lot of my former students and most of them commented on Lunch Bunch being one of their favorite elementary school memories.

Enjoy your new career. You are still an educator!

You will make an awesome parent one day. You made an amazing first-year teacher this year.

Love,
Momita :)

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes for a great final few days with your students. You have given them an awesome year and they will all remember you fondly.

Love,

Momita :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home