Tuesday, April 24, 2007

3-day week for me!!

So I really can't complain that much; I have a 3-day week this week (I'm taking tomorrow off and I wasn't here for more than an hour yesterday), I have a 4-day week the 2 weeks after that, and then we only have 2 more weeks of school left! As we speak, I am printing out this entire blog (serveral hundred pages) on the library printer... muwahahaha.

Apparently, the sub had a heck of a time yesterday. She called in our acting principal (another teacher who takes over for the principal when the principal's not here). This "acting principal" can be very nasty with the kids, but they generally had it coming. Yesterday, she sent 3 students home! Incredible that they were so bad. Yuck. I feel a bit bad leaving tomorrow, only because the kids will have had 2 subs this week. Oops. However, I feel somewhat justified in using my last days of leave before I go. (I currently have .5 sick day left, and 1 personal day. I plan to use both of these before the year's up.)

My kids were actually pretty good for me today. I think they *do* miss me when they're gone, though they still won't be quiet for more than a few minutes at a time. They had a heck of a time in art today... The art teacher told me, "They just can't control themselves. I've about had it with them." Next week, they'll be doing writing assignments instead of painting, drawing, or creating cool stuff. Punks.

After art, I sat the class down for another one of my famous "spiels." We talked about respect (as usual), fairness/equality (as usual), and why the teachers keep leaving the school. A bunch of the kids were able to vent some feelings about the teachers leaving, and I tried to explain why it happens so frequently (bad leadership on some levels, disrespectful students, low salaries, etc.). I really do feel guilty for leaving the kids next year, but the guilt isn't enough to make me stay.

We ended the day with recess, then I read "Now Let me Fly: The Story of a Slave Family" (I can't use the "underline" feature, so I had to use quotes). It's a good book, and it's sometimes calming for the kids & me to have me read to them. That's how we'll wrap the days up for the time being, I think.

Anyway, I have much to do (sub plans for tomorrow, plan out our ever-closer-approaching Grand Canyon trip, getting ready for our upcoming fundraiser, etc.). I shall be off, and I probably won't update again until Thursday. Hope you're all well. Take care!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home