Monday, April 23, 2007

A "Sick" Day

So I got to school today (about 10 minutes late, as usual) and just sighed. "Oh, I don't know if I can do this today..." I'd thought, and immediately decided to see if I could get a sub. I went to the librarian (a grandmotherly figure whom I like and who likes me), who is responsible for getting subs for the district. I'd told her I wasn't feeling good (not a right-out lie; mentally, I felt like crap), and asked if there were any subs available. At first glance, it appeared that it'd be impossible to get a sub, so I'd resigned myself to "tough-out the day." However, a few minutes later when I was in my classroom, an aide came in and informed me that there was one sub who was able to come in on such short notice. Surely a blessing!!

So I taught the 4th graders math (we're doing subtraction of fractions with unlike denominators) for a while before the sub came in. When she arrived, of course, there was pandemonium in the classroom. "What's that lady doing here?" or "Where are you going?!" or "Don't leave us!"... Eesh! Perhaps I should've told them I was leaving?? Anyway, the sub was a woman maybe in her late 30s/early 40s who seemed very competent. She was confident that the day would be fine, though I worried aloud, and she instructed me to get home and feel better. I hope the day goes well for all of them. She should be good.

This is the second such day I've taken this year. I don't feel bad about it in the least. As a matter of fact, I feel I should use up all my sick and personal days (I'm also taking off Wednesday of this week to explore the city where my new job will be). It's pretty much "use 'em or lose 'em" as far as leave days go, so I'm gonna max them out before the end of the year.

Anyway, that's the update for the time being. I've promised myself I'll do a few productive things today to offset the minor guilt of leaving school. Have a great day, all, and thanks for hanging in there with me these last few (5) weeks of teaching. Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home