Friday, March 23, 2007

Really?

So I'm frankly surprised I'm still alive to write this entry. First, because of my pseudo-psycho roommate, and second, because of the rottenness of the day. UGH!! They were total monsters today. And I only "taught" 2 1/2 hours total! YUCK!! Further, I had to deal with a parent of one of my former students (he had wanted to subpoena me earlier in the year, for some unknown reason) AND a very vocal parent of another student not of mine (this dude's a PTO member). The chaos never ends. At lunch, one of the lunch ladies asked me, "Does it feel like you've got f***ing psycho magnet tattooed on your forehead?" I replied, tiredly, "Yes, yes it does."

Next: parent-teacher conferences, day 2. I only had 6 show up this afternoon, for a whopping total of 14 (of 26) families. MUCH better last time around. I suppose I'll be doing a few over the phone the next few days. The last conference, which should've been the best (sweet, stellar student and fellow PTO-officer mother) was actually a bit bummy. See, our math has changed for the time being; we're working from AIMS prep books (to get ready for the upcoming state testing next month), and the material moves at a FAST pace. Coupled with this is the fact that the 5th graders have been going to the 5th grade teacher for about half the year now. Her pace is also rivaling on the speed of sound, whereas I go at a slower, more thorough pace. Guess it just depends on what you're hoping to accomplish with the class. Anyway, this student of mine is a VERY hard worker, and often chooses to go to the library at recess to study and/or take notes. She got a C+ in math, completely based on assessments from this new curriculum. The mother was not happy, and I didn't feel the grade was completely indicative of the girl's progress, but I didn't argue much with the numbers. Plus I think it's good for the girl to learn how to deal with a C now (in the 5th) grade as opposed to getting her first one senior year of high school.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna go home and nap. I have been just DRAINED all week. This job never ends!!! I'm stressing, too, because I know before Monday I still need to do lesson plans, PTO minutes, parent phone calls, and grading. An office job sounds pretty fricking good about now. Oy. So I'm off to rest and enjoy my weekend. Though I feel like I *should* be back in the classroom on Saturday, I shall probably not come here. Muwahhahaha. Should make next week interesting. OK, I'm off for real. Peace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home