Monday, February 26, 2007

Triage

Before I explain today's title, let me *first* say how I knew it was Monday today...

So it was about 6:34am. I usually hit the "snooze" button about 4 or 5 times until I actually get out of bed on school days, as it's soooo hard to leave the warm, comfy goodness of my bed. Ahem. So I had just hit "snooze" again, telling myself, You'll get up on the next one. Seriously. Well, that's not what Monday had in store for me. Lately, both of my cats have been sleeping on the bed with me, and it's so cute. Today wasn't the slightest bit cute. Mouschi, the calmer of the two, was curled up right next to me, sleeping away. Sixer, the rambunctious one, pounced on Mouschi, but ended up clawing me in the face in the process! "Ow!!," I'd exclaimed, feeling blood ooze from my lip. I got up, giving Monday the finger in my head, and checked the damage in the mirror. There it was: a split bottom lip and a little gash on the left cheek. Nice, Sixer, nice. And thus began my Monday.

It's extremely hard coming back to school after a weekend, and today was no exception. I even did a little job hunting this morning before the kids got here. Anyway, I was kinda glum until the day really began. For some reason, the very same students who drive me crazy also keep me sane. We're kind of in our own little world in the classroom- a mini society, as it were- and I am able to immediately forget all my outside problems and concerns.

Anyway, the day went surprisingly well. I threw a lot at them today: faster-than-normal-paced math, more homework (and time to do it), a poetry unit, a quick science lesson, writing, reading, etc. I went at a much quicker clip today, and a lot of the kids seemed to appreciate it. I think today's pace is probably about the norm for veteran teachers, but I can't keep up with it just yet. I did not have to yell once today. Not once! It was awesome. It was also possibly due to the fact that the kid who usually stirs up the whole class was absent today.

In other news, I saw "Bridge to Terabithia" this weekend. Excellent movie, and it was especially interesting when I watched it as a teacher. There were moments when, horrified, I'd think, "My God, those are my kids in this!" Craziness. However, the movie prompted today's journal entry: "Describe a world completely of your own designing. What would happen that can't normally? What would you do? What would everything look like?" and so forth.

Finally, spring break plans are in: it's over to Vegas with some of the other newbies! Should be a blast. Also, my little sister gets here on Saturday, and I'm super-stoked for her & the kids to meet each other! Should be a treat.

Ok, that's all for now. I'm actually *prepared* for this week, so I'm gonna head home, plan a teeeny bit, then relax. Ciao!

P.S. Ha!!! I never explained the title! (It's later, looking back at my post.) Anyway, we had a "grade level" (really: grades 4-6)meeting after school today. As if we're not bogged down with enough stuff, the principal wants us to do all this progress monitoring stuff on top. Long story, lotsa work. Anwyay, she said that it's important to be working "triage" with our kids; that is, help the ones who are "borderline," ignoring for a moment the really "high" and really "low" students. From what she said, we kind of are giving up on our failing students and focusing on the middle- to top-range ones. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but it *is* extraordinarily difficult to work with students who choose not to do the work. Any thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home