Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A new approach

So I atttended this AWESOME seminar in Phoenix yesterday! It was about dealing with disruptive students, and I loved it. The man who presented it (Mr. Lucio Padilla) was energetic and... happy. An educator who likes his line of work... inconceivable! He gave us really good ideas and starting points, and I took meticulous notes during the entire presentation.

Having introduced the awesomeness that was yesterday's seminar, I shall now talk about a student of mine (let's call him "Tommy"). Tommy came in about halfway through the year, and was completely disruptive, rude, and unable to stay in his seat for more than 3 minutes at a time. The other kids ostrasize him because he is older (12), bigger, and quite obnoxious. Even the librarian has specifically requested that he not be sent to her... EVER. Anwyay, Tommy left right before winter break, and I felt a bit guilty when I sighed with relief. However, it turns out that he's now back, having been kicked out of another school and sent back to us. (He was kickd out of 2 other schools before we got him in October.) Anyway, I can easily see that Tommy is not a bad kid, not by any stretch. He's had an extremely trying childhood (including parents who are on drugs and have no desire to help Tommy do anything worthwhile), and a lot of people don't like him because of his admittedly abraisive nature. I don't mind him all that much, all things considered. I can tell he really just wants to fit in and be liked, and I can't possibly fault him for that.

Anway, at the seminar yesterday, our instructor had us choose one (or two or three) REALLY problematic children. Of course, Tommy immediately came to mind. (I have a few others, too, but Tommy was the first on my list.) Mr. Padilla suggested that we try to establish relationships- real relationships with caring and patience and praise- with our most troublesome students. He reminded us that these children most likely have really crappy home situations, and that we may be the ONLY positive adult role models in their lives. A little depressing, but absolutely true.

The point of the story? I tried some of Mr. Padilla's stuff today, and it's been a really incredible turnout. I told myself that, no matter what, I would NOT lose my temper or snap at a student AT ALL. I pride myself on accomplishing this so far (and there's only an hour and a half in the day left!!... my kids are in art at the moment). I've been trying to apply the ratio of 4 praises to every 1 behavioral reprimand, and it's working pretty well. It is extremely difficult to be positive sometimes, but the atmosphere in the classroom today was a lot happier than usual, and I can't help think it's because of the approach I took today.

The other 5th grade teacher asked me at lunch today, "So where do you stand for next year? Are you coming back or not?" I reeeeeeeeeeally don't know yet. No idea. I'm starting massage therapy school in a month, and that will be my second career at the very least. We'll see. We have a staff meeting today after school with the superintendant, so we may be presented our contracts for next year at that time. Scary!!

Anyway, those are the major updates for the time being. My little sis is in town, and will be coming to school tomorrow and Friday with me. Should be a trip! That's all for now. Ciao!

2 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the workshop! You and all of your students will benefit greatly from all you learned. He was right; sometimes you are the only positive, adult role model your students have. Personally, next year I'd like to see you develop and use everything you've learned this year. You have come so far as a teacher and as a woman. It's also nice that you will also have a second career as a massage therapist. I hope you two enjoy your field trips this week!

Momita :)

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an interesting way to do things. I have a feeling it would be a bit draining on the teacher to keep up that approach with multiple students at the same time. Anyways, time to catch up on your older blogs now :)

ed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home