Tuesday, February 06, 2007

99 Red Balloons...

... or something. This is my 99th post, so the title felt appropriate. Plus we had a party today, so it fits.

Sooo, today was pretty decent. This job is so fricking bipolar, I can't stand it sometimes! I think I'm finally starting to see that some of the kids are getting *something* out of being here. I keep wondering to what extent I'm responsible for the students' growth, maturity, and self-discipline. For now, I'm resolved to doing the best I possibly can, and letting everything else go.

Another issue: patriotism. I have opted to NOT say the Pledge of Allegiance the past 2 weeks. The kids haven't really noticed (since I stand in the back of the room at that time), and I don't really want to make a big deal about it, but I'll let them know what's up if they ask. Why I'm not saying it: I broke it down, line by line, and here are my reactions:

-I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America (I don't.)
-And to the Republic for which it stands (absolutely not)
-One Nation under God (oh, really? Whose God?)
-Indivisible (have you seen our 2000 and 2004 election results???)
-with Liberty and Justice for all (umm... how do you figure??)

So I'd explain it more professionally to my students, but that's that.

Next topic: Journaling. I'm soooo proud of my kids' writing abilities. A lot of them aren't great at conventions (grammar, spelling, etc.), but the IDEAS are there, and they're powerful and great. Some recent excerpts (mistakes included):

[about traveling to any point in history:] "If i could go in a time machine, to any point in time, I would choose the time in October before halloween to stop my dad from going to Jail so my family don't have to go throw what we are now so now I will do anything to save my family I've been want to do anything for them since I was a baby..." (wow.)

[about living in a world where YOU create all the rules:] "If I lived in a world where I made up the rules the only rule would be that there are no rules. Even thow that doesnt make sence thats the only rule. There would be only that rule because I want to have a fun world for once with no rules and everyone would love me because they could do what ever tehy wanted and wouldnt that be awesome."

[about being stuck on a deserted island for 10 years where they could have one food and one drink item with them:] "My drink item will be a water tree, but in winter, when my water tree is sleeping, I will drink sea water."

So we're getting some really amazing things out of these kids. We're working on conventions, but that's really secondary to their ideas. (I can't believe I, the Grammar Queen, am writing that!!)

Anyway, on a positive note, I've been collecting items/money like crazy from neighborhood businesses and individuals; I can't believe it! Our local Habitat for Humanity has offered to donate 6 computer to local families who couldn't otherwise afford them. I made the phone calls to the families tonight to set up arrangements for the pick ups, and one woman was so happy she cried!! She said, "This is just such a blessing!!" It was awesome. It really made the whole effort worthwhile.

Tomorrow's a short day (luckily!!), then we have field trips Thursday & Friday!! :) Should be a mellow week. That's all for now. Peace.

1 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI! I enjoy reading about your thought process even though sometimes I do not agree with you. I give you a great deal of credit for not accepting anything at face value and for questioning things. You are an extremely intelligent young woman with a huge heart and a gift of compassion.

I am very patriotic and am extremely proud of my husband and father who are both veterans. (Oh, wait -- that makes them your father and grandfather!) I do say the Pledge of Allegiance every day at school. While I understand your points, I do not always agree with them.

Our country was founded because people wanted religious freedom. Therefore, it is up to them to whom they pray (one nation, under God). No one can tell them to which God or supreme being they owe allegiance or if they even want to show allegiance to any god.

No, not everyone is created equal; but everyone is entitled to liberty, justice, and the pursuit of happiness. I substituted this week for an extremely low-functioning, multi-handicapped class. These children will be taken care of and provided for because our country respects human life and gives these children the liberty to attend school in the least restrictive environment possible. The rights of these children are guaranteed by our country. Our schools educate our teachers and give them opportunities for growth and development.

Our country isn't perfect and it can be improved. However, we have the right to challenge laws, protest, and openly debate issues without fear of reprisal. We can impeach our leaders and vote for new leaders in free and open elections.

We can go to sleep at night knowing we are relatively safe in our own homes. We are protected by excellent police forces who protect and serve us without regard to our race, religions, or sexual orientation.

There is nothing that cannot be improved. I, for one, am extremely proud to be an American; and I will continue to say the Pledge of Allegiance and mean it.

I am extremely proud of you,too, and respect your decision not to say it. I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Momita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home