Sunday, January 14, 2007

Weekend musings...

So things have been pretty enjoyable & mellow this weekend. It's SO nice to have downtime, yet there's always schoolwork hanging over my head, so that kind of sucks.

Anyway, faithful readers, I thought I should update now since I haven't in nearly a week. First, the workshop on Thursday was AWESOME. It was about using literature circles and other activities to boost kids' reading comprehension and enjoyment. At first, I thought it was a lame conference, but I got really into it after an hour (and a cup of coffee). It inspired me to start a notebook that will serve as my "inspiration deposit-box." Any time I'm inspired by something school-/education-related, I shall put it in my notebook! Score.

Second, the spelling bees Friday went pretty well! The other coordinating teacher (also a newbie) and I panicked at first, because we couldn't find a way to hook up two microphones in the gym. However, a kindergarten teacher had a self-contained system (think a boom box with a microphone) that we were able to use. For having never coordinated a spelling bee before, I'd say it went pretty dang well. :)

Also, my friend sent me this article about Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" documentary. It basically says that some parents have objected the film's being shown in school. Ha. Two teachers at our very own school showed the film to their students (grades 6-8) last week. Boo ya. Anyway, interesting article. There's also a rebuttal, if you're interested.

For now, I go enjoy the long weekend!! (Thank you, Dr. King, Jr.!!) Have a good one! I'll be back in action on Tuesday for your reading pleasure.

1 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger Maria said...

Do you find that your kids have come back "changed" for the better after break? The last two weeks with my kids have been extremely productive. Now, thinking back, I notice the same trend over the last couple years. I don't know if I've had a break and come back refreshed, or if they're feeling better, or maybe a combination of both, but whatever it is, something has definitely clicked. I'm working it for all I can, while it lasts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home