Thursday, January 18, 2007

Holy decent day, Batman!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! I typed this *awesome* blog, but stupid Blogger crashed on me!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrr.... I've learned my lesson: save, save, save!!!

Ahem.

Today was actually pretty cool. In a nutshell:
-It began by me asking a child, "Why are you throwing donuts at that boy?" Heh.

-Math was good: I had both the 4th and 5th grade classes, and taught half while the other half worked, then switched. It was mostly good. I really enjoy teaching math.

-The kids (and I!!!) are excited about our three upcoming field trips (a 4th grade one, a 5th grade one, and our Grand Canyon one).

-Had to babysit the crazy teacher next door... Ugh. She's like 5 years old sometimes, I swear.

-Did my first FBA (functional behavioral analysis) today. Lots o' work!

-Attended the jr. high basketball game for 20 minutes after school (as it was in the elementary school gym)... it was so cute! (Our team, as always, is about 1/3 the size of all the teams we play... yay for rural schools.)

-Got asked by the superintendant if I'd coach jr. high girls' basketball next year. Heh. Like I know *how* to coach.

-Both the principal and the super said they'd work with me by helping me move up to 5th grade with my 4th graders if I decide to stay next year. The principal said the superintendant was like a kid when he told her, "Beth's thinking about staying!!!"

-We had a pretty dang good class meeting today! There were the usual petty issues/conflicts, but a lot of students brought up school-wide issues. Of particular interest: "nasty" cafeteria food (I disagree) and a lack of playground equpiment. The latter issue piqued my interest, as the students really *don't* have much to do on the playground, which causes all sorts of problems (fights, restlessness, boredom, aggression, etc.).

-One girl had her b-day today, so we sang to her... en espaƱol. :) (She's bilingual, and was delighted that I taught the class how to sing to her in Spanish. It was cool!) She brought a cake in, and I dished out a piece to each student who was quiet and ready to leave at the end of the day. It was a nice wrap-up.

-Called around a few carpet places after school to see if anyone'd be willing to donate remnants to my classroom so the kids have something to sit on, should they work on the floor. The *second* place I called was happy to help!! They'll have 30 bordered remnants ready for me tomorrow afternoon!

-The above stroke of luck & generosity prompted me to rationalize, "Hmmm... I wonder how many other places would be so kind..." So I decided on the spur-of-the-moment to organize a fundraising activity (a whole-community silent auction) to get $$ for playground equipment!! I've sent a mass e-mail to more than 500 local organizations, businesses, and people. In less than 2 hours, I've received offers for the following donations:
**several $50 gift certificates
**an aromatherapy gift basket
**a restaurant gift certificate
**cash
**$100 personal donation
!!! Wow!!! I think this thing'll be HUGE!!! I can't WAIT to see what pours in the next few weeks!! A local newspaper has already offered to cover the whole effort FOR FREE!!! I'm so psyched, and I can't wait to tell my kids tomorrow! !:) I've also received several nice e-mails from people who are eager to help and are excited about the cause. :)

-Finally, tomorrow, we have our student of the month (S.O.M.) assembly. How awesome are my kids? Let me share some stats:
*2 S.O.M.s from my class (whom I chose, but oh, well)
*1 band S.O.M.
*5 perfect attendances
*4 Principal's List students
*11 Honor Roll students
*3 art S.O.M.s

I think I may actually cry (out of pride & joy) for my class at the assembly. Overall, I'm so proud of my kids. :)

On this crazily optimistic note, I leave you. I'm SOOOO psyched about these new projects!!!

3 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so proud of you! What an awesome idea. Other people always wait for someone else to do things, but you get right in there and do them! You have accomplished so much this year with your kids, no wonder the principal and the superintendent are happy you're thinking about returning next year! The entire community will know you and love you! Well done, my love!

Momita :)

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Maria said...

Yea for you!

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Yay for new playground equipment!!! I think you should stay. It sounds like you are good for the school. And I think the school's not too bad for you... oh... you should pop over to my livejournal or myspace. 0:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home