Thursday, February 01, 2007

3-day week

So I've been fortunate to have only had 2 days of work this week (and tomorrow for a 3-day week). For some reason, I've been in a funk the past few days. Perhaps it's for some of the following reasons:

-I was informed yesterday that it is apparently illegal in Arizona for schools to participate in "gaming or gambling." So what, you ask? So that makes it difficult for us to have a silent auction/raffle, since these are considered "gaming." Grrrr. Turns out I have to now go through our newly-formed PTO (of which I will soon be the secretary) to hold such an event. Yuck. I did NOT want this to be PTO-sponsored; I wanted it to be solely through the school. Oh, well.

-My kids were little bitches on Monday. Yuck.

-My principal told me today that I've maxed out my professional leave days for the year. Whoops. I wasn't aware we had a quota. I can't complain, though; I've gone to 2 already in 2007, and I'm still going to 3 more. I just won't get approved above and beyond those.

-I've been talking with friends/the beau too much lately about depressing things (e.g., ALL the problems in the world & how much we *can't* do about them).

Anyway, I got to school yesterday and was greeted by the first thing listed above (about the gaming/gambling), and then a whole host of other crap. I felt the tears well up immediately, and realized I wouldn't be a good teacher that day. I asked for a sub (and actually got one!!), so I got to go home at 9:00. It was nice to be away again. (Tuesday I had gone to Phx with another teacher for the day to check out the science museum, where we'll be taking the 4th graders next week and the 5th graders in a month or two.)

Today wasn't too awful. I really felt like (emotional) crap this morning, but the day ended up pretty decent. The kids now have *positive* earned free time this week (last week they owed *me* 15 minutes on Friday!), so that was nice. They were actually pretty respectful and worked well today. I didn't have to yell much, which I always appreciate. We also had a decent class meeting, and they got an extra 10-minute recess this morning which helped us all IMMENSELY. I think I may do that more often (though the principal and super frown on it). Ha.

Tomorrow should be ok, though the nurse is taking ALL my girls for a 15-minute chat in the morning. Turns out two of my 4th grade gals are forcing themselves to throw up nearly every day... Um, BULIMIA in 4th grade? I'm more than a little disturbed. I hear the nurse is good at "putting the fear of God" into elementary school children, so I can't *wait* to hear how the talk goes.

Ok, that's it for now. Time to wrap up here (at school), then eat, sleep, come back, and repeat. Ciao!

1 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Maria said...

I've been reading and implementing Fred Jones' Tools for Teaching. My kids are diggin' his behavior plan and the whole thing puts more responsibility on the students. It's an easy read and I highly recommend it.

On another note, I'm so impressed with your playground project. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home