Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Not a bad day!

Today was actually a decent day (!!!!). I have recess morning duty all this week at 7:45am, which sucks, but after a cup of coffee, I am generally fine.

So I started Geometry with the 4th graders today. I actually really, really like teaching math that's not just facts/memorization. We did 2-D geometry today (lines, line segments, perpendicular lines, rays, etc.), which I think is too fun. The kids mostly enjoyed it, and I'm always happy when this one troublemaker gets really into the math. He had a good time today, so that helped.

During reading, I was giving our weekly spelling pre-test. Since it's a pre-test, I don't care if the kids whisper, so I told them they could whisper as long as they don't talk. It got too noisy, so I ultimately had to abolish the whole talking/whispering thing altogether. We came to the word "spray" in the test (they're working on the initial /spr/ sound this week), and I made up this dictation sentence for it: "If anyone talks during this pre-test, I will spray that person." Of COURSE, I had three students take me up on that. True to my word, I got my squirt bottle (usually reserved for overhead use) and sprayed those three students. I think you can guess what happened next: complete pandemonium. I was soon spraying everyone, realizing that my plan had backfired. Oh, well. We had a good laugh!

On the way to lunch, the last student in line called me over. When I approached him to see what he needed, he yelled, "REVENGE!!!" and proceeded to squirt me with his own water bottle. Ha. I couldn't help but crack up.

When the class was at lunch, I checked to see how many had finished their weekend assignment. Out of the 23 students present today, 10 (ten!!) turned in their work. Ten!! Since they had earned weekend homework from last week, their assignment was this:

In 200 words, describe what you can do to make our class a better one.

Simple enough, eh? I had girls in TEARS because they "didn't know" about the assignment or they weren't in the room when I assigned it. Too bad! I've had enough of the lack of responsibility from these kids. I'm cracking down, and I'm cracking down hard. Now that I'm getting a little more of teaching figured out, I'm now ready to start dealing with student accountability. Ha!

Later, science was a smashing success. We did a KWL chart about the skeletal system, the muscular system, and the internal organs in the human body. We only did the "K" part today, but the class was relatively engaged in the discussion. This is also the first time all year I've made a chart that we can keep up (as opposed to using the whiteboard and erasing it later). Score. Tomorrow, we'll do the "W" section, and we'll move on from there. :) I got this cool book over winter break that has the students build, piece by piece, a model of the human body. It's pretty sweet. When they're done, perhaps I'll scan a few of them for your viewing pleasure.

Also, I went over a letter today with the students. I sent home a notice to parents/guardians explaining my Grand Canyon policy. As of right now, I have 12 parents/guardians who want to come on the trip. Holy crap!! (As an aside, I may have to change the date, which I don't know if it's possible at this point. Bleh.) Anyway, now the students AND their parent/guardian have to sign off saying that they have read and agree to the conditions set. I offered my phone number and the opportunity to send a note to school for dissenting parents. Bases covered? Hopefully.

Finally, I just finished meeting with a parent about her son. Her son had failed 5th grade last year, but is extremely intelligent. (As many of my students, he's just lazy... I'm working on getting the laziness to dissapate.) Anwyay, we're brainstorming ideas on how to motivate this kid, who already knows the material rather thoroughly, to be a productive member of the class. I'd like to challenge him, but how??? Oy. I told the mother I'd like to meet with her AND her son whenever they can to develop a contract/plan about the student's work. She seemed to like the idea, and I think it'll help.

Wow, I'm getting there... Slowly, but surely. Now, time to go home and do MORE school stuff! :P

1 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We always knew you'd get there! We have always had confidence in your abilities. You can't be a master teacher, actor, musician, etc., the first time you try. We are very, very proud of you. Your students are very lucky to have you.

Momita & Daddio

 

Post a Comment

<< Home