Thursday, October 05, 2006

My first field trip: A success!

So today we went to a gorgeous park in Arizona. We had a great time, and the kids were relatively good! For some reason, I was told by the other 5th grade teacher that we were to split our classes into 3 groups... I did so, even though I only had 11 fifth graders. Two parents also came to chaperone, so that was nice. It turns out I could've just kept my class together; I ended up with a mix of 4 of my students and 8 of the other teacher's, and only one other chaperone. Go figure.

All in all, though, the day was good. We had three different activities: a hike (to discuss how early peoples may have survived on the land), a mock archaelogical dig (which the kids loved, and were awesome during this), and a session on pictographs (where the kids made pictograph-esque drawings to represent stories and ideas). They got a little rowdy toward the end (this happened no matter WHICH adult was talking; I felt re-assured that it's not just me screwing up), but it was a nice day all in all. The weather is still nice enough (even in October!!) to wear a t-shirt and shorts and be comfortable, even for me (and I get cold easily!). The bus ride there was pleasant- I was able to plan out a lot of next week and even read a little Vonnegut, and it was a bit noisy on the way back. Soon, the other teacher and I began "silent bus," since the students couldn't handle the privelige of being able to talk on the bus quietly. Oh, vell. I read more Vonnegut and relaxed.

I'm back at school, finishing up tomorrow's sub plans (which remarkably resemble today's!), and then we have our 4th grade field trip tomorrow. The only bummers? 1.) We have to be at school at 7:30am; the bus leaves AT 7:45, and 2.) it's only a half-day field trip. My sub, however, has been hired for the whole day, so when we get back, I will deposit the fourth graders with the sub and hide to do lesson planning and grading at school! Score! OK, I'm off. Peace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home