Monday, November 20, 2006

Turkey Day break can't come soon enough...

So today started out well... almost too well. The morning was actually really good, and it was downhill from there. I'm starting to think it's them, not me, who are crazy after recess. How about that?

I'm just glad that I only have to teach tomorrow, and then we get the rest of the week off! :)

Not too much to report, aside from the end-of-the day fight between two of my boys. One called the other a "dirty, black Mexican," evidently. The insulted boy punched the other several times. I love it.

I came in to school today with NO plan for the afternoon, and somehow it all turned out relatively fine. We did a lot this afternoon (that I planned during P.E. and lunch), and academically, the kids had a decent day.

I'm starting to wonder if the kids are bored in school at times because my teaching style is boring. I don't want to be in front of the class all day, but I don't know how to differentiate my instruction, either!! As always, ideas are welcome and appreciated! I've tried group work a time or two, but we're not ready for that yet. I don't know if it's them or me, but group work failed miserably. Any other fun, creative ideas would be wonderful, though!

Ok, I'm out. Time to go home, relax, then just get through tomorrow! :)

Oh!! I have a website with photos... (This one is me with my funky socks & another teacher on Halloween!) Let's see if this works:

Image hosted by Webshots.com
by picturesofmb

3 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just letting you know that clicking on the picture thing or the picturesofmb didnt work.
~Lauren

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it does. (Clicking on picturesofmb that is) Your pictures were wonderful! Thank you for sharing them! Momita :)

 
At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously sounds like these kids are bored as hell. Kids with too much time fight and cause trouble. This is no fault of your own, of course. At least, not directly.

Nietzsche would kill me for saying so, but I can see two general areas in life that go hand in hand for personal development. One is the physical and the other is the mental. Working both at the same time to their natural limits enables both to grow faster than either would on their own, much like exercising opposing muscles does.

It doesn't surprise me that they can't do group work. They probably can't even do individual work right now. Sure, they may pretend to read, flip the pages, skip some paragraphs, but how much do they GET? How far can they go? They'd be a lot more receptive to mental training if they were physically exhausted. Run them through some competitive high-intensity activities that tire them out quickly, like sprint races with a math question at the end or something. Anything. A mathalon! Capture the flag... what ever... make them think and run.

P.S. Teach personal hygiene, too. The public schools always seem to forget this little detail. =)

Yours always,
Joseph

 

Post a Comment

<< Home