Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Ahhh, 2007.

Soooooo, I'm back in the saddle, so to speak. It was actually pretty good being back today. The kids were all rested, as was I, and it was a pretty quick day.

I made a stricter homework policy that the kids actually dig. I put "--------" on the board (in a spot where it will remain, along with their earned free time). Some of my kids who've been around the block knew that there were just enough letters for "homework." I eventually explained to them that I will check their homework AND their homework folders EACH and EVERY day. (I gave them ALL new homework folders and sign-off sheets today.) For every 5 people who either do not have their homework done OR don't have their homework signed, they'll earn a letter. If, by the end of the week, "homework" is on the board, they will have Friday homework. If it's not, they'll earn a party day. (They have 13 of the 20 necessary party days to earn a party of their choosing... we'll get there someday.)

I also got another student back today who I'd had at the beginning of the year. Her parents were not happy with our district at the start of the school year (I couldn't help but take it somewhat personally), but now she's back... who knows? I also got *another* new student today. My class total is now at 27, with 2 boys who come in during afternoons for science and social studies. Joy. It's actually not bad; I think I've got the hang of this 'til the end of the year.

In other news, I'm now officially off my anti-depressants!! I stopped taking them almost a week ago (by accident; I couldn't find them), and I still feel fine. Good deal, eh? It's just me vs. the world now. :) The personal life's good also, which helps immensely.

Heheh... also, I was trying to see how many days of professional leave I could get away with (since I view them, essentially, as paid days off). Check this out: I'm going to a conference next Thursday (paid by the district, thankyouverymuch), then running the spelling bee next Friday (so I need a sub that day- score!). Finally, 2 weeks after that, I'll be going to another workshop (all paid for as well). Muwahahha!! So check this out:

This week: 3 days
Next week: 3 days
Week after: 4 days (MLK day off)
Week after: 4 days

Oh, heck yeah.

Ooooh- other news! I'm planning an overnight camping trip to the Grand Canyon in May. How sweet is *that*? We did the camping thing last year when I student taught, and it was awesome. The only problem this time around: I can't find another teacher crazy enough to try it with me... Looks like I'm on my own to organize it! If I get the crapload of parent chaperones that I'm expecting, all should be cool. I'm also making the trip behavior-contingent; if the students can't be mature and respectful in class, no WAY they're going on the trip. So there.

Finally, I'm at home... (Internet was crappy at school tonight.) I watched "School of Rock" a bit ago, and I'm trying to think how to make learning more FUN for my kids. Sure, we laugh and I'm goofy, but I really want them to enjoy school... I just haven't quite figured out *how* yet. Hm.

That's all for now. Peace out!

3 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to a new year! May you and your students find this to be a great start to the second semester of your first year of teaching!

Momita :)

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola, Issa.

I went to see Freedom Writers today. It's high school based and all, but it's a very inspirational teaching film that I think you'd enjoy. I recommend it (-:

Love!
Issita

 
At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How to make learning fun? Hmm... tough question to answer because I don't think learning in and of itself is fun at all. It's work. And usually the harder we work for it, the better the feeling of accomplishment is.

Also, now that I think about it, learning is really usually secondary to a need or desire for something. Say your favorite toy broke, wouldn't you want to fix it? Wouldn't you try if you at least knew how? Or lets say we want something like a new toy but it costs lots of money, so we have to learn how to save up and earn money, etc. What about if we got into an argument with a friend over whether Adam Smith's vision for American capitalism was deluded grandeur or economic genius? Has it been successful? Why is it failing in Russia... etc etc... Necessity is the mother of all learning (shameless ripoff). Learning is a means to an end, not an end itself. Thus it's hard to force oneself to learn without a clear and present desire.

Joe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home