Thursday, August 17, 2006

Some Hilarity, Briefly

Quickly, as my class is currently in P.E.: We started vocab today. I had the kids set up notebooks where they (among other things) chunk each word into smaller parts. (This is usually done by syllable, but chunking can vary. This chunking method helps with spelling and pronounciation.)

Anyway, our first word was "compass." Ha. As I was writing, I said, "OK, we can chunk 'compass' as 'comp-ass' or 'com-pass.'" Whoops. I had actually written "comp-ass" on the board, too. The class was very good about it. Some of the girls gasped, some of the boys laughed, but I didn't lose my cool. One boy suggested I take off the second "s" in the first variety, which I did. There was a collective sigh of relief.

I shall go pick up the class soon, but that made me laugh. Also, we're moving at a snail's pace. I had 4 things I wanted to get done before P.E. (class business, vocab/spelling, reading, and snack), but I only got through most of the first 2. Yikes. They keep telling me I'm moving too fast, but there's so much to cover. I suppose I may have to break things down even more. Egads, it'd be nice to only have to teach one grade! I'm moving us to 5th grade spelling and vocab next week, so the 5th graders are extremely happy. Score.

Hokay, that's all for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home