Monday, August 14, 2006

It All Starts Tomorrow...

So all of our in-services are done... tomorrow is the REAL DEAL. Tomorrow, being a newly 23-year-old, I will also "officially" be Ms. Anderson. I'm pretty nervous and shaky, but I'm also excited and optimistic.

Highlights of today:

-Lunchtime gossip: meth use is HUGE in this area. Go figure. Apparently, people (on the East Coast???) have been buying thousands of cell phones, possibly to make bombs? Airport security is insane, etc. Teachers here, fortunately, seem fairly liberal and open-minded. Makes things easier for sure.

-I lost a few students today, and gained even more. My class total is now at 26 (up from 23), and will surely change even more in the next few weeks. I got two "really good" gals and lost another "troublemaker." Gotta love labels and predetermined expectations, eh?

-My 4th grade teacher buddy is leaving. He gave his two weeks' notice today, so I will soon be without that confidant. Very upsetting, and no one (except the superintendant) wants to see him go. Such a shame. :(

-Talked for a while with the tech guy today, and FINALLY have a computer username and password... e-mail comes tomorrow! He later stopped in for a second just to give me a piece of advice: "You've gotta lay down the law these first few weeks, or else they'll walk all over you. Boundaries can always be expanded, but it's almost impossible to bring them back in." Ha. Am I that transparent? Hm... or maybe he was just trying to be helpful.

-Met another student today. His mother wanted to talk to me about him, so we had a mini-conference about the student. He seems cooperative and nice, but we'll see how he is in a few weeks.

That's pretty much it. I just have to get all of tomorrow's paperwork in order and try to get some sleep tonight. Tomorrow, I suppose, I really become an adult!

1 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Maria said...

I came across your blog by accident. I'm heading into my third year of teaching, so I remember my first year well! Good luck! I'll check back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home