Tuesday, August 22, 2006

All Teachers Who Want to Quit, Raise Your Hands.

(I'm raising my hand.)

Right now, I'm angry at our country and our society and our parents and our schools and the way everything is. Teachers are completely unprepared to go into the classroom, parents don't care about their kids, the kids don't care about their successes/failures in school, the administration doesn't care about the teachers... I feel like the teachers (and sometimes principals) are the only ones who really care sometimes.

Every night, I come home, and it's not enough. I still have plans to do, papers to grade, parents to call, and then *maybe* I can squeeze dinner in before bed. I hate this right now. I hate being exhausted and sad and stressed and unprepared, despite the fact that I work about 10-12 hours a day at the moment.

Today was a pretty bad day overall. OK morning, but the kids didn't do well in music or in art or in the halls or in class. I was stressed and angry, and I let it show. Unprofessional, but at least I didn't cry in front of them.

I know, though, that I'm not alone. The other teachers have been very supportive and understanding. My family has been amazing, as have a few really good friends.

I feel like I have an informal mentor teacher next door: the woman who took over for my 4th grade teacher buddy. She's wonderful, and she said her first year teaching, she'd lock herself in the school bathroom or broom closet or classroom every day to cry. She said she threw up almost every morning from stress, and couldn't eat much. It's not that bad for me, but I was thankful to have someone who was completely empathetic.

Also, my mom sent me an issue of Edutopia magazine. This particular issue (February/March 2005) is cleverly titled "No Teacher Left Behind" and is about teacher burnout. Some memorable quotes/facts from the article are:

-"We don't put attorneys just out of law school alone on their first case, yet we put new teachers alone in the classroom for their first year and expect them to shoulder the same responsibilities as veteran teachers" (pp. 40-41).

-"New teachers are expected to assume a full schedule of classes, create their own lesson plans, and develop teaching techniques and classroom management strategies in relative isolation... The result: New teachers must weather a frazzling first year that... [is] a recipe for early burnout" (p. 40).

-"Not a day goes by that I didn't go home and cry." (on a fourth-grade teacher's first year)... "Academically, I was prepared. Socially, professionally, and emotionally, I was not" (p. 41).

-"The amount of time I put into teaching was huge, and I still feel overwhelmed" (a former high school science teacher, p. 42).

It goes on and on: teachers put their all into their work, yet end up drained, stressed out, and jaded. Promised support isn't there, and often teachers (like myself) often feel completely "thrown to the wolves."

Anyway, I had my first Open House tonight. It went quickly, but I felt frazzled at the end. All in all, 11 students and their families showed up. All the 5th grade parents grilled me on how I'm planning to have the 5th graders ready for 6th grade at the end of the year. I had to BS a little (since I'm not exactly sure myself yet), but I did tell them my plan: to completely integrate the 4th and 5th grade curricula so that all the students are getting both 4th and 5th grade material at the same time. I haven't figured out the grading or the grouping yet, but I have to take one thing at a time.

The parents had come and gone in a half an hour, and I still had planning to do afterward. At 8pm, the principal came in with her husband, and they said, "You're still here? Again?" I replied, "Yes, I'm always here." Sheesh... I should've just moved into my classroom and not wasted the money on an apartment. Bleh.

Right now, I'm so focused on the problems of teaching that I can't see any positives. I just want out. I've been looking online for government jobs and the like. Heck, I've even considered moving back with my parents (!!) for a while to get back on my feet. I know I have to finish out the year (and I'm only a week in!!!), but I'm trying to take it one day at a time.

Finally, I just feel alone right now. Though the other teachers are great and we occasionally hang out outside of school, I feel alone. I have no good friends here, and the friends I do have, I don't talk to very much. I'm the only adult in a room of 27 people all day. I come home to 2 cats and still have to lesson plan. My support system right now is, essentially, my family and the teachers at my school.

Bleh. I need to stop writing. Hopefully, things'll look up soon. I MUST make tomorrow a better day, for all of our sakes (yours, mine, and the students').

3 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger Maria said...

I moved to this city (about 300 miles from my hometown) when my now-husband, then fiancee, was assigned to a Navy base here. We were both fresh out of college, I was desperate for a job, and so I took a position teaching 5th grade that was a HORRIFIC experience. My children were out of control. I literally got all the kids that nobody else wanted (read: SERIOUS behavior problems). I had no experience, no real classroom management, no idea how to construct truly good lessons, and no sense of time management. I cried every night and then again every morning when it was time to get up. That, combined with planning a wedding for the following summer, made me a complete wreck. I completed the school year and then left not only the building, but the school district.

The difference between that first year and last year (new district, new building, new grade level) was amazing. I LOVED my fourth graders last year! I had a much better hand on my discipline policy, and a much better outlook. Too tired to grade the quizzes tonight? Oh well. It'll get done another night. It's okay to let a few things go, in order to keep your sanity.

You've got a tough job, teaching a multi-level classroom, a challenge for even a veteran teacher. To be honest, I really don't think you got the fair end of the deal. Nevertheless, remember that this is your first year and allow yourself to make lots of mistakes! It just means that you won't make those same mistakes next year.

This has become a long comment. I just wanted to add my support to all the support I'm sure you're already getting. The hours are ridiculously long for those teachers who care enough to put in the time and effort. The long hours you put in show how much you want your "little darlings" to be successful. That's a great thing! Just make sure you take that time for yourself, too!

Good luck!

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my it is great seeing tuis blog. I am also a 1st year teacher and I can TOTALLY agree with everything you stated. I truly believe that school couldn't have prepared anyone to do this job. I do not believe that my school is a bad school because I have seen worst. However, I just feel anxious each morning as I wake up to prepare for my day. The most consuming thing is planning the lessons.... soooooooo consuming. I arrive before so and stay late each day. I just feel thre is no balance to my life right now.... The most imporatmt thing I look forward to is the break away from school. I hope that we will survive this year. Have a wonderful year my dear.

We can do this!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home