Thursday, October 19, 2006

Conferences: Day 2

So this job is anything but dull or boring. This morning, one of my best, nicest students in the classroom was crying because she was afraid to get in trouble. No way, girl! Later, I had another student tell me that her mom just up and left, and would maybe not be coming to conferences (or home again at all). Her parents later showed up.

Yesterday, I forgot to mention our closing for the day. Earlier yesterday morning, when the class was actually quiet for once, we heard music blaring in the classroom next door. Upon careful listening, we determined said music to be Macarena by Los Del Rio. Hm... All of a sudden, I had students jealously asking, "Why can't we do the Macarena?!" I told them we could, if the rest of the day went well. It's amazing how a '90s hit can so inspire the children of the 2000s. They were really good for the rest of the day. Strange! Thus, the last few minutes of class were dedicated to teaching the children the Macarena and dancing it. It was too funny!! My "macho" boys (one of whom is a bull rider) were swinging their hips, trying desperately to keep rhythm with the song. I actually laughed out loud several times! Almost all the kids danced, and it was just the most beautiful 10 minutes yet.

Today was also delightful because it was a half day. The kids got out right after their (early) lunch, leaving the teachers to conference with students and parents. I had 11 more conferences today, all of which went pretty well. Again, the students led the process, and they were adorable. My mentor came in at one point to supervise, and we were both thrilled with how smoothly the process went. My mentor then grabbed the principal to come and watch. It was actually a very nice time.

I've also learned so much about my kids! A lot of them are not only spitting images of their parents, but I see where the behaviors come from now, too! It was just a real eye-opener.

Highlights of today's conferences:

-ALL of my scheduled students/parents showed up. I couldn't believe it!

-One mother wanted to ask me "a personal question." I was afraid she was going to ask if it was my first year teaching; instead, she asked me if I was dating anyone. Turns out she wants to fix me up with a "really, really nice, shy" police officer. Ha. Who would've thought the new big dating service would be parent-teacher conferences?

-I have one student whose family is having several issues. The student is emotionally unstable, but is very bright. In fact, she's being tested for the gifted program at our school. Her whole family came in (mom, dad, brother, sister, etc.). I could tell they were a good (albeit dysfunctional) family. Since the girl is such a hard worker and does so well in school, I was able to give her a glowing- honest- report. At one point, I felt like I was on some new reality TV show... We were wrapping up the conference, which I did by presenting the parents with the child's report card. I said, "and here is your daughter's report card," and handed the document to shaky hands. There was a moment of complete silence, and then sighs of relief. The student had earned As in all subjects except art (for talking/attitude). There were tears, there were hugs and kisses and "I love you"s... it seemed like they had won a grand prize. The student and both her parents were literally crying when they saw the report card. It was such a weird, cool moment.

I shall leave you on that note. Conferences: 12 down, 12 to go (another one is coming!!). Peace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home